Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hello Again







I went home to New Hampshire a little while ago to visit my folks. It is interesting how something as simple as going home to a house you grew up in can bring back so many memories. Or, even the act of gazing upon an old tree. I climbed this tree many times when I was a child. The maple tree was a place of refuge in games like Hide and Seek. He was my shelter from the unexpected summer rain. He was my sanctuary as I meditated on the things that mattered to a ten year old boy - my fifth grade crush and what was for dinner. And he always listened when I wondered out loud how much trouble I would be in because I blew up the microwave or because I broke the mirror in the bathroom. I just climbed this tree when I was home visiting. I needed to say hello to my old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment